The following two regions in the world are known for making an illegal drug.Identify this drug.
Illicit Opium production areas
- The Golden Crescent is the name given to one of Asia’s two principal areas of illicit opium production This space overlaps three nations, Afghanistan, Iran, and Pakistan, whose mountainous peripheries define the crescent..
- The other being the Golden Triangle, located at the crossroads of Central, South, and Western Asia.
- It is a highly addictive narcotic drug prepared from inspissated juice of the unripe capsules of the Papaver somniferum(poppy plant)
- The most important active principles of opium are the alkaloids morphine(used to make illegal drug-heroin) and codeine.
- Opiods are widely used as Analgesics.
- Opiate toxicity should be suspected when the clinical triad of central nervous system (CNS) depression, respiratory depression, and pupillary miosis are present.
- Opium poisoning is treated with Naloxone.