Most commonly used preservative used for suture shown in the photograph below is ?
C. Isopropyl alcohol.
The most commonly used preservative used for plain catgut suture is Isopropyl alcohol.
Surgical Gut Suture (Plain or Chromic) is available in sizes 5-0 through 6 (metric sized 2-8).
The suture is supplied sterile in “pre-cut” lengths or non-needled or attached to various needle types in one dozen boxes.
Suture is supplied with packing fluid
- 90% Isopropyl Alcohol,
- 0.5% Sodium Benzoate,
- 0.5% Diethylethanolamine and
- water q.s. ad 100%.
- Isopropyl alcohol is used while packing catguts.
- Colloidal iodine is used as a skin disinfectant.
- 2 % Glutaraldehyde is used for sterilizing Bronchoscope. (Asked in AIPGE 2003)
- Use of Hydrogen peroxide in Surgical Wards is a well known fact and needs no introduction to medical students .
Glutaraldehyde [CHO-(CH2)3-CHO ] has a similar action like Formaldehyde, and is specifically effective against tubercle bacteria, fungi and viruses. It is less toxic and irriant to the eys than formaldehyde. This has no deleterious effects on the cement or lenses fo the instruments such as bronchoscopes and cystoscopes. It is also used for
- corrugated rubber anaesthetic tubes
- face masks,
- plastic endotracheal tubes,
- metal instruments and
- polythene tubing