A patient with a history of intravenous drug abuse presented with a high grade fever.Chest Xray shows the following features.What can be the most probable diagnosis?
A. Right sided Pneumonia
C. Right sided Septic Embolus
D. Right sided Pleural Effusion
Ans:C.)Right sided Septic Embolus.
Chest X ray in the image shows:
- There is a small irregular opacity on the right
- This opacity contains a dark area – cavity(marked by an arrow).
There is a history of intravenous drug abuse,fever and lung showing cavity.This leads to a probable diagnosis of septic embolus.
Differential diagnosis of lung cavities
- Lung abscess – TB, Klebsiella or Staph aureus
- Lung cancer
- Septic embolus – infected thrombus
- Fungal infection – if immunocompromised
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis