In which condition,the following type of nail abnormality is seen?
D. All of the above.
Ans:D. All of the above.
Onycholysis is distal separation of the nail plate from the underlying nail bed . It is associated with the following:
- Trauma, excessive manicuring
- Infection: especially fungal
- Skin disease: psoriasis, contact dermatitis,eczema
- Impaired peripheral circulation e.g. Raynaud’s
- Systemic disease: hyper- and hypothyroidism, reactive arthritis, porphyria cutanea tarda
- Sometimes a reaction to detergents (e.g. washing dishes with bare hands, using detergent-based shampoos or soaps).
- Patients with hepatocellular dysfunction may develop hair-thinning or hair loss and nail changes such as clubbing, leukonychia (whitening), or onycholysis, affecting the nails of the hands and feet.