A patient presented with the pain and edema around the ankle joint.X ray shows the following features.What can be the most possible diagnosis?
A. Pott’s Fracture
B. Cotton Fracture
C. Jones Fracture
D. Gosselin fracture
Ans:B. Cotton Fracture.
- The Anterior-Posterior (AP) image shows fractures of both the lateral malleolus and medial malleolus.
- The lateral image shows an additional fracture line passing in the coronal plane to the articular surface of the tibia
- The posterior corner of the tibia is also known as the ‘posterior malleolus’.
Cotton Fracture(Trimalleolar Fracture)
- A trimalleolar fracture is a fracture of the ankle that involves the lateral malleolus, the medial malleolus, and the distal posterior aspect of the tibia, which can be termed the posterior malleolus.
- Surgical repair using open reduction and internal fixation is generally required