A 25-year-old girl presented with erythematous papules on the face as seen in the figure. The lesions were exacerbated on excessive sweating, sun exposure and emotional disturbance. What is the diagnosis?
B. Acne rosacea
C. Acne vulgaris
Ans: B. Acne rosacea
(Ref Rooks 8/e p43.1-43.10; Fitzpatrick 7/e p704-708; Roxburgh 18/e pl 72-1 78; Harrison 19/e 18/e p404, 444)
- Most likely diagnosis = Acne rosacea.
- Characterized by erythema of central face persisting for months or more.
- Convex areas of nose, cheeks, chin & forehead – Characteristically involved.
- Spares perioral & periorbital areas.
- Abnormal vascular reactivity – Exaggerated flushing response to heat, spicy food, alcohol and stress).
- No pharmacological defect found.