A 24-year-old female presented with an ulcer in the genital area. A Giemsa stained cervical smear was taken which showed the following image. Identify the causative agent:
B. Gardnerella vaginalis
C. Hemophilus ducreyi
D. Calymmatobacterium donovani
Ans: D. Calymmatobacterium donovani
(Ref Ananthanarayan 10/e p404, 8/e p396, Jaunt: ?7/e p761, Harrison 19fe p198e-1)
- Coccobacilli seen in the Giemsa-stained specimen suggest a diagnosis of granuloma inguinale.
- Seen intracellularly in mononuclear cells.
- Minute, encapsulated, coccobacilli.
- Closely related to Klebsiella genus.
- Sexually transmitted.
- Causes Granuloma inguinale/ donovanosis – chronic inflammatory disease.