Identify the deformity seen in the given picture:
A. Hallux valgus
B. Hallux varus
C. Cubitus valgus
D. Rheumatoid nodule
Ans: A. Hallux valgus
(Ref: Apley’s 603, 604)
- The given picture shows hallux valgus in which outward or lateral deviation of great toe occurs.
- Commonest of the foot deformities (and probably of all nzusculoskeletal deformities).
- In people never worn shoes the big toe is in line with the first metatarsal, retaining the slightly fan- shaped appearance of the forefoot.
- In people who habitually wear shoes the hallux assumes a valgus position.
- But only if the angulation is excessive is it referred to as `hallux valgus’.