- Condition characterized by incomplete development of intellectual functions & adaptive skills (skills for successful Iife).
- Intelligence is measured by Intelligence Quotient (IQ).
- IQ = Mental age/Chronological age x 100
- Maximum denominator – 15 (even for elderly assessment).
- IQ less than 70 – Considered as “mental retardation”.
Category & their IQ:
- Normal – 90-109
- Borderline – 70-89
- Mild mental retardation – 50-69
- Moderate mental retardation – 35-49
- Severe mental retardation – 20-34
- Profound mental retardation – <20.
- Level of functioning varies with severity of mental retardation.
- Down syndrome & fragile-X syndrome – Most common chromosomal cause.
- Behavioral problems in mental retardation – Have maladaptive behavior (aggression, self injurious behaviors, hyperactivity, etc).
- Modified by behavioral therapy techniques – Contingency management.
- Desired behaviors rewarded & undesired behaviors punished.
- Calculation for IQ = Mental age/Chronological age x 100.
- IQ less than 70 is considered as “mental retardation”.
- Down syndrome & fragile-X syndrome are the most common chromosomal cause of mental retardation.
- Behavioral problems in mental retardation are managed by behavioral therapy techniques like contingency management.
Don’t Forget to Solve all the previous Year Question asked on MENTAL RETARDATION