Fracture classification shown in photograph above represents Le Fort classification.
Le Fort fracture
It is a classic transfacial fracture of the midface, involving the maxillary bone and surrounding structures in either a horizontal, pyramidal or transverse direction.
- Le Fort type 1
- horizontal maxillary fracture, separating the teethfrom the upper face
- fracture line passes through the alveolar ridge, lateral nose and inferior wall of maxillary sinus.
- Le Fort type 2
- pyramidal fracture, with the teeth at the pyramid base, and nasofrontal suture at its apex
- fracture arch passes through posterior alveolar ridge, lateral walls of maxillary sinuses, inferior orbital rim and nasal bones
- Le Fort type 3
- craniofacial dysjunction
- fracture line passes through nasofrontal suture, maxillo-frontal suture, orbital wall, and zygomatic arch / zygomaticofrontal suture.