True about the infectious agent shown in the photograph below are all except?
A. Associated with Cruetzfeldt-Jacob disease.
B. Heat labile.
C. Sensitive to proteases.
D. Infectious proteinaceous particles.
Ans:B. Heat Labile.
The infectious agent shown in the photograph above is prions.
- Prions are unconventional virus like agent.
- Prions are transmissible particles that are devoid of nucleic acid and seem to be composed exclusively of a modified protein.
- They are resistant to heat (90 degree C for 3 minutes), UV rays and nucleases and sensitive to proteases.
- Prion diseases may present as genetic, infectious, or sporadic disorders, all of which involve modification of the prion protein (PrP).
- Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), scrapie of sheep, and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) of humans are among the most notable prion diseases.