Which among the following act have been passed for the prohibition of condition shown in the picture below?
A. MTP Act,1971.
B. PNDT act,1994.
C. NDPS Act 1985.
D. POCSO Act,2012.
Ans:B. PNDT act,1994
Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PNDT) Act
- It is an Act of the Parliament of India enacted to stop female foeticides and arrest the declining sex ratio in India. The act banned prenatal sex determination.
- Main provisions in the act are
- The Act provides for the prohibition of sex selection, before or after conception.
- It regulates the use of pre-natal diagnostic techniques, like ultrasound and amniocentesis by allowing them their use only to detect :
- genetic abnormalities
- metabolic disorders
- chromosomal abnormalities
- certain congenital malformations
- sex linked disorders.
- No laboratory or centre or clinic will conduct any test including ultrasonography for the purpose of determining the sex of the foetus.
- No person, including the one who is conducting the procedure as per the law, will communicate the sex of the foetus to the pregnant woman or her relatives by words, signs or any other method.
- Prohibition of advertisement relating to pre-natal determination of sex and punishment for contravention.
- Punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years and with fine which may extend to ten thousand rupees and on any subsequent conviction, with imprisonment which may extend to five years and with fine which may extend to fifty thousand rupees.
- The name of the registered medical practitioner shall be reported by the Appropriate Authority to the State Medical Council concerned for taking necessary action including suspension of the registration from the register of the Council for a period of five years for the first offence and permanently for the subsequent offence.