A. Central Health Ministry.
B. Medical Council of India.
C. Indian Medical Association.
D. State Medical Council.
Ans:D. State Medical Council.
Professional death sentence(Permanent erasure of the name of Registered Medical Practitioner from the Medical Register) is given by State Medical Council.
State medical council
- They are autonomous bodies established under the State Medical Council Act.
- Each of these Medical Councils consists of members elected by the registered medical practitioners and those nominated by the State Government.
Functions of State medical council:
1. Medical Register:
- The Council appoints a Registrar, who keeps a Register of medical practitioners
2. Disciplinary Control:
- State medical council have the disciplinary control over the medical practitioners.
- They have the power to remove the names of medical practitioners permanently or for a specific period from their Registers when after due enquiry they are found to have been guilty of serious professional misconduct.
- They are also authorised to direct the restoration of name so removed.
- Deletion from the register shall be widely published in local press as well as in the publications of different Medical Associations/Societies, Bodies.
- Erasure of Name: The name of the doctor is removed from the medical register:
- After the death of the registered practitioner.
- Entries which are made in error or as a result of fraud.
- Penal erasure: The main cause for erasure is serious professional misconduct, and this is known as penal erasure. It is sometimes termed “the professional death sentence”. It deprives the practitioner of all the privileges of a registered practitioner
- 3. State medical council can issue warning notice similar to that of the Indian Medical Council.Professional death sentence.