Act shown in Photograph is dealt under which Section ?
A. 376 A IPC.
B. 497 IPC.
C. 498 A IPC.
D. 302 IPC.
Ans:B. 497 IPC
- Only a man who has consensual sexual intercourse with the wife of another man without his consent can be punished under this offense in India.
- As per the Indian law, a woman cannot be punished for the offence of adultery.
- If someone “lives in adultery”, the partner can file for divorce.
- Section 497 of the Indian Penal Code deals with Adultery.
- Adultery→ Whoever has sexual intercourse with a person who is and whom he knows or has reason to believe to be the wife of another man, without the consent or connivance of that man, such sexual intercourse not amounting to the offense of rape, is guilty of the offense of adultery, and shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to five years, or with fine, or with both. In such case the wife shall not be punishable as an abettor.
- This is a Bailable, Non-Cognizable offence and triable by Magistrate First Class