A. 28 to 30 week infant.
B. 30 to 35 week infant.
C. 35 to 40 week infant.
D. 40 to 45 week infant.
The type of maneuver shown in the picture above represents Heel to ear maneuver.
- The position for assessing the heel to ear maneuver is demonstrated in the picture above.
- The degree of extension seen is consistent with a 28 to 30 week infant.
- The resting tone of the lower extremities can be assessed by the heel to ear maneuver.
- With the baby on its back and the pelvis flat, a foot is moved as near to the ipsilateral ear as possible without exerting undue force.
- Very premature infants can easily touch their heels to their ears.
- This becomes somewhat more difficult after 30 weeks and impossible by week 34 of gestation.