Identify the reflex shown in the picture below ?
A. Moro reflex.
B. Grasp reflex.
C. Galant’s infantile reflex.
- The Moro reflex, as shown in the picture above evaluates vestibular maturation and the relationship between flexor and extensor tone.
- Elicitation of the reflex involves a short (10 cm), sudden drop of the head when the infant is supine.
- The full response involves extension of the arms, “fanning” of the fingers, and then upper extremity flexion followed by a cry.
- An incomplete but identifiable reflex becomes apparent at approximately 32 weeks’ gestation, and by 38 weeks it is essentially complete.
- Very immature infants demonstrate extension of the arms and fingers but do not show true flexion or make a sustained cry.
- Marked asymmetry of response may be associated with focal neurologic impairment.