Technique shown in photograph is used in which conditions?
A. Complex fractures
B. Non union
C. Limb lenghening
D. All of the above
Ans:D. All of the above
Illizarov technique is show in the image.
- The Ilizarov apparatus is a type of external fixation .
- Used in orthopedic surgery to lengthen or reshape limb bones; as a limb-sparing technique to treat complex and/or open bone fractures; and in cases of infected nonunions of bones that are not amenable with other techniques..
- The device is a specialized form of external fixator, a circular fixator, modular in construction. Stainless steel (or titanium) rings are fixed to the bone via stainless heavy-gauge wire (called “pins” or Kirschner wires). The rings are connected to each other with threaded rods attached through adjustable nuts.
- The apparatus is based on the principle which Ilizarov called “the theory of tensions”.
- Through controlled and mechanically applied tension stress, Ilizarov was able to show that the bone and soft tissue can be made to regenerate in a reliable and reproducible manner( distraction osteogenesis).