C. Substance use disorders
- It is a neurodevelopmental disorder
- Three core deficits in Autism are:
- Qualitative impairments in communication
- Qualitative impairments in reciprocal social interaction
- Presence of stereotypic, restrictive, and repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, and activities..
- The onset of autistic disorder always occurs before age 3 years.
- Language develops slowly or not at all.
- Inability to concentrate.
- Social interaction and communication is very poor.
- There is no eye contact or smile.
- Approximately 75% of children with autism are mentally retarded.
- Epilepsy develops in approximately one-fifth to one-third individuals.
Pervasive developmental disorders
- It refers to a group of disorders characterized by delays in the development of multiple basic functions including socialization and communication.
- The pervasive developmental disorders are:
Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS), which includes atypical autism, and is the most common
Autism, the best-known;
Asperger syndrome (9% of autism diagnoses);
Rett syndrome; andChil
dhood disintegrative disorder