Identify the pulse shown in the picture below ?
A. Catacrotic pulse
B. Hypokinetic pulse.
C. Hyperkinetic pulse.
Ans:C. Hyperkinetic pulse.
- The hyperkinetic pulse is characterized by an increase in the velocity of the upstroke and amplitude.
- A bounding pulse signifies high pulse pressure.
It may be due to :
- Low peripheral resistance (as seen in fever, anemia, thyrotoxicosis, hyperkinetic heart syndrome (de), A-V fistula, Paget’s disease, beriberi, liver cirrhosis),
- Increased cardiac output,
- Increased stroke volume (as seen in anxiety, exercise, complete heart block, aortic regurgitation),
- Decreased distensibility of arterial system (as seen in atherosclerosis, hypertension and coarctation of aorta).