The following image shows cell counts in different squares of a Neubauer’s chamber after charging with 20 times diluted blood. What is the total leukocyte count?
Ans: A. 6000/mm3
- Neubauer’s Chamber
- Each of the square has a dimension of 1mm x lmm.
- Depth is 0.1 mm.
- Volume of one square = (1 x 1 x 0.1) mm3 = 0.1 mm3
- Concentration of cells = n/V x d
- (n= No. of cells, V= Volume of distribution, d= Dilution)
- Cells counted in 4 corner squares = n = (25 + 35 + 40 + 20) = 120
- Total Volume of 4 squares = 4 x 0.1 = 0.4 mm3
- Dilution factor = 20
- WbC Count = n/V x d) = 120/0.4 x 20 = 6000 cells/mm3